Sunday, February 17, 2013

4 Reads to Help You Wait For Spring

IMG_2797

(I haven’t shown you this room in a while. As you can tell, not a whole lot of changes going on in here. This is before Little Girl’s joy upgrade. Still need to finish the ottoman.)

Is it just me, or is it time for Spring?  Last winter really spoiled me. We had almost no winter- it was unusually warm. But the familiar every-other-day rain/sleet/snow of February is upon us here, and the best way I’ve found to bide my time until it’s warm and sunny again (when we’re not painting something) is to read. Here are a few things I’ve really enjoyed:

1. Hugo’s Les Miserables. I know. We’ve discussed this. But it’s worth another plug. I still haven’t seen the movie. I’m not even sure if I want to. The book was just that good. I don’t think I want another face for my Jean Valjean.

2. Ken Follett’s Fall of Giants. A friend turned me on to Follett’s Pillars of the Earth a couple years back, so I was interested in this one when I heard about his new Century Trilogy. It took me a while to get on board and start this, though, because the subject matter was World War I, and after my struggles with War and Peace, I just wasn’t sure I was into a war novel. But I was wrong.  Maybe it’s my fascination with Downton Abbey that sparked my interest in the time period, but this is a really good book. It’s long, and involved, but fascinating. Well worth the time. It’s about a whole host of characters, from Downton-like British aristocracy, to an American senator’s son, to Russian peasants, and how their lives compare, contrast, and intersect before, during, and after WWI.  The only downside is Follett’s tendency to get all romance-novelish with his “love” scenes, providing way more graphic detail than I’m comfortable with. That, and the second book in the trilogy is $19.99 for Kindle! Madness!

3. Gail MacColl, Carol McD. Wallace, To Marry an English Lord. More Downton craze.  Julian Fellowes, the creator of Downton Abbey, said this book was one of his influences for Downton. This one’s not heavy reading, and highly entertaining if you’re curious about that time period.

4. Corrie ten Boom’s The Hiding Place. I’ve just started this one, and it’s already one of my favorites.

Happy Reading! Hang on-Spring’s coming!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Nicki. I clicked over from Emily Clark's. Your kitchen is beautiful, btw. I just wanted to tell you that The Hiding Place is one of my favorite books- glad to see you reading it. I think I'll take your recommendation and read Les Miserables. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your sweet comment, Bettsi! I hope you enjoy Les Mis!

      Delete
  2. I'm ready for spring too. It doesn't get too cold here (San Francisco) but I'm wishing for more sunshine and cute floral dresses. A few people have recommended Les Mis to me, so I guess I should find out what all the fuss is about.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! Comments are welcome and appreciated! Comment moderation is on, so it may take just a bit for your comment to show up. Thanks for your patience!